Thursday, April 22, 2010

Coffee and an Update

I am reading a book right now, written by a 12 year old girl. The title is 'The Boy Who Ate Stars'. The caption on the back reads...When I grow up, I want to teach autistic children. I know one already, he's called Matthew and he's my neighbor. Matthew was four when he came into my life and, to be honest, we got off to a rocky start. Now I see alot of him, and each time I can't help thinking how special he is because he's like nobody I've ever met.

I had to take a small break. As I am reading this with a lump in my throat, and I look to Nathan with his worker, and such pride and frusteration hits me. They are working on probes, and programs. He recites the answers like 'Rain Man'. But, he is answering them!! What is your name? Nathan, Nathan Cormier. What is your mommy's name.. what is your Daddy's name. Phone number? Where do you live (today he said 'in a home' yesterday he said earth) Do you go to Daycare? What is your friends name? (sometimes he says an actual name.. other times he says toys) How old are you? (I'm 4, he says with gusto) Do you have a brother? (yea) Do you have a sister? (sometimes he says yea.. other times he says.. No, I not a sister, I a big boy!!) Do you have pets? (a pig, a bird, a fish..) What are their names?(pig, bird, fish..) But, other times he answers those perfectly. Nish is a black cat. Ostara white, brown, and black cat... etc..

These probes are just basic.. they will get more complicated and involved. And as he gets some wrong, he will be taught over and over until he does get it right. It does get pretty scriptive. But, I guess that is a start to forming a base, and then as his communication developes he can add more onto it. Like, we were out the other day. And someone asked him what his name was, he said.. My name is Nathan, and This is my Mommy. He does show pride, and wants to learn.. and it ticks me off to no end when for years I've asked him 'How are you? (I don't know).. I say, I'm good. anyways.. just after a couple days Laura has him saying.. I'm good. I could pull out my hair. Using the same way that I have been working with him. Lol.

Right now he is fixated on dot to dots.. or Connect the dots. It's hard to get him to try something else. Or he gets mad. We are working with him to use words instead of actions.. saying, Whatever, That's fine'. It's pretty cute hearing him say that one. or No big deal, It's OK. It allows him to self-talk through difficult times.

So far, he is flowing through his programs. Yesterday, he got 3 out 16 steps correct.. Today, he got 6!! Another one, yesterday he got 20%, today he got 40%. He doubled in a day. These are based on a craft program that he has to do as much as he can by himself without prompting, or what not.. like, colouring, cutting, pasting. Its all on a 'map' that he has to follow.

So far, they haven't gone back to 'sabotaging'. I think they are just getting these programs into play. Teaching him self talk and independant play. As more programs come in.. or his perfectionist comes out, or as more behaviors surface then we will deal? I don't know. He's so random and inconsistent as to what upsets him and what I think he'll freak out over, and then he doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment