Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Bold Cashier

Just sharing this because I kinda thought it was comical. We were at a department store this afternoon and it was pretty busy so we had to wait in line. Nathan was literally bouncing off the walls. I'm the type of mother who follows the rule that just what I think is cute.. others do not. So, I'm saying to Nathan stand like a pencil.. or sit still with your hands on your lap.. To no avail.. hehe.. He just keeps giggling, jumping, dancing.. acting completely foolish.

Mind you.. he only hit the old man in front of us, and thankfully, older people tend to like children and only laughed and tried to talk to Nathan, which unfortunately just 'egged him on. By the time we actually got to the greasy haired teenage cashier everyone was watching him. And he knew it.. so he continued on with his foolish show.

Finally, I got my purchases bagged and ready to go, there were about 4 people waiting behind me, thankfully, they seemed patient enough with my handfull. The cashier said to me.. " he seems young right now, but if he keeps bouncing around like that, you should go get him diagnosed. He might be ADHD. I was stumped for a second. Then looked her in the face and said, "Actually, he's been diagnosed with Autism.. has been for a couple of years now."

OMG! You should have seen the look on her face! A couple shades paler, mouth smaller with a silent 'oh'. HAHA.. then I said, and you should be more careful who you say that to. Then gathered my purse and left not even looking back.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Love those conversations. I was recently having an argument at a BBQ with an acquaintance about whether autistic kids could talk. Argument ended nice and quick when Boo wandered over with his cup and said, far clearer than he normally does, "Want more juice.". I turned to her and said, "Huh, lookit that. Seems some of them can."

    You're right. The fish gaping expression is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son behaves similarly in like situations. He loves to jump and spin, so he does one or both when we are in stores - usually due to the massive overstimulation going on. I let him jump or spin, but the deal is that he walks calmly and quietly between stops. It works well. I've had similar comments made to me, about the possibility of my son having ADHD. My response is similar to yours, but not as nice lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been playing the scene in my head last night.. and came up with lots I should have said. Wanted to say. Still makes me laugh, though. I just couldn't believe she had the gall to say something! I also wonder if the person behind me said anything. I wasn't quiet about it.

    ReplyDelete