Friday, November 5, 2010

Find Something Different

So funny, Nathan has been playing.. Find Something Different. He would move things around in the rooms, usually about 4-5 things and ask me to find what's different. It could be a remote control in the plant, table centerpiece on the floor.. or something more vague that makes me ask.. what did you do? It's fun and quite humerous his imagination until we are looking for something we need! Like keys in the fridge... man, he makes me laugh.

It's funny how having a special needs child can escelate such emotions out of a mother. Where milestones are cartwheel worthy, and other emotions can bring you down to your lowest, or fly you up to the skies. He started his therapeutic riding and I have to tell you it swelled me up with such pride to bring tears into my eyes. He's a natural up on that horse, named Spicey which he talks about endlessly. He wears a purple harness, so he says the horse is brown with purple stripes.. lol. They play games on the horse, stop and go.. where he has to say Whoaa and walk on horse! They sing head and shoulders and have to reach forward to touch the horses ears, and reach back to the tail. They spread their arms out like an airplane.. and to see the faces of ear to ear smiles will forever be imprinted in my memory.

There is one boy who is non verbal, and he just couldn't stop smiling the second he was up on the horse to the very end. He would just flap his arms, pat the horses neck and grunt noises.. clearly very happy!! Last week they even did a little trot!

Hallowe'en was a success. I wasn't overly worried, the biggest problem we had was waiting for the night! One night, he would NOT go to sleep until he went trick or treating! Jason had to bring him to the calandar and count down the days.. 3 more sleeps! I can't wait for christmas!!! Hahahaha!!!

Speaking of which.. he wants EVERYTHING!!! for Christmas. Every commercial.. I want that for Christmas.. if a girl toy comes on, he says I don't want that for Christmas.. its a girl toy, I don't want that one. Last year, Dec 14th we got his diagnosis. Stoopid me decided to take the afternoon to the mall to get some shopping alone time in. Well, at that time Nathan wouldn't ask for anything! I used to think I was so lucky and what a good parent I am that has a child I can take out and not want anything. Then I found out why. Anyways, I was in Walmart and a grandparent was with a grandchild who excitedly pointed out all the toys he wanted for Christmas. I broke down crying right there. (I'm crying right now, remembering) It was like my whole world crashed in on me. My son doesn't ask for anything, and that's not normal.. he hardly plays with the toys he has, cause he doesn't know how to play. I left the mall and just sat in my car.. thinking, remembering.. dying inside. Now, I have a child who LOVES to play!! and creatively too! Asking for everything he sees!

Last year, around the middle of November, I started getting Nathan ready for Christmas. Asking what does Santa do (brings presents) what does santa say (ho ho ho). ENDLESSLY did he say I dont' know.. or nothing at all. And I would ask a few times a day. Then one day in December, I ask ok, Nathan.. what does santa do? "Brings presents" OMG! What does santa say? "Ho HO HO! oh my double God!! Tears streaming down my face! And what do you want for christmas? "a car! two Cars" !! *laughs* yes.. I went out and bought him his cars! yep.. escelated emotions.. so huge.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am from India and my son was also diagnosed with PDD(NOS) about 3 years back. It was such a struggle getting everyone to acknowledge his problems; the awareness for such problems is very limited in our society. Anyway, I always knew that there was some problem with him and the moment I got a direction on where to begin, I started his treatment. Today he goes to a integrated school (he attended a special school for 2 years) and has a special educator to look after his school work.

    Your blogs reminded me so much of my struggle with my child. Today when he plays like any other child especially with his younger brother, it gives me so much joy that I can't explain in words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting! It's those encouraging words that brings hope. And, it really helps knowing there are others that are/had going through it all.

    ReplyDelete