Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Old Fashioned Melt Down


I posted before that Nathan has his good days and bad days when it comes to leaving Daycare. Or, anywhere really... transitions has always been a challenge. Today, I came to pick up Nathan at Daycare and I walk in to see a bunch of kids at one end of the hall, and a bunch of kids at the other end of the hall, 3 skateboards and 3 kids on their bellies. I laugh. What fun! I ask the 'teacher' if Nathan played on the skateboards too.. he replies, yes, he's had his turns. I was proud.

I see Nathan cheering, and think.. omg, I am NOT going to get this child out of here. I put my hand on his shoulder and say, 'Nathan, it's time to go home for lunch'. That's when it started, he see's me, puts on his straight jacket pose and starts. I pick him up and carry him to his boots. He is not moving, he cries, everyone is watching and I wonder how to handle this. 20 minutes later... he's curled up on my lap, wrapped solid around himself and still refuses to move. I'm done. I have to force his arms in his jacket, afraid he is going to get hurt, or hurt himself, and basically drag him out. Thankfully, he isn't hitting me.

He cries all the way home, I've tried bribing, threatening, everything I can think of at this point. He is gagging on his cries and I am driving hoping he doesn't make himself sick. When we get home, I carry him inside and continue to try to talk him down. What finally did it was our cat Ostara. It was like he came over specifically to see what was wrong, lol.

It made for a long afternoon, but we watched a couple of shows then put on some music and danced for a good couple of hours. I haven't seen him act like that since before we really started the behavioral therapy, and I exausted every tool they gave me to try. It kinda threw me for a loop, trueth be told. I got him to tell me he was sorry, and I hope he understood the reason of his actions and how it affected the situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment