Friday, February 12, 2010

Valentine's Day Party at Daycare


Daycare with Nathan is both a joy and a challenge. He was never a child to cling to me, he would have NO problem leaving me to go to daycare. However, picking him up is a nightmare. I almost pulled him out it was so horrible dragging him out kicking and screaming, sometimes punching and hitting me.

With all the work with his behavioral therapist things started getting better, and he would now have his good days, and bad. He still isn't a child that would run into my arms, but the kicking and screaming is now minamal.

Today, started like every daycare morning, he would give me a hug and kiss, then sign language 'I Love You, Too' then run off to play. When I came to pick him up, I was completely prepared to go in for a challenge and fight, I mean, come on.. it was a Valentines' Party!! But, he came to me with his envelope of Valentines' and treats, I took a picture of him all proud with his arms full of hearts, and then he went to go put his boots on!! Then, he even tried to put his own jacket on and zip it up! I was floored, I had no idea who this child was.. Even the 'teachers' were watching with 'WTF' looks on their faces.

He took my hand and we walked to the car together, he even tried to stop the wind, without much success *smiles*. Moments like this is so cherished. I always envied the other moms who would walk in and their child would run into their arms, and today I had that feeling.

1 comment:

  1. As Moms we all wait for that moment when our child tells us they love us, the unsolicited hug or the smile and running into our arms after being gone for a bit. I guess this is a lesson for all of us that each child is unique and we shouldn't expect cookie-cutter results and behaviours but cherish each little affection and achievement as they come. Savour these moments Shana and remember them when things aren't so heart warming. Nathan may not be able to tell or show you that he loves you as often as you might like or need but, make no mistake, he does.

    ReplyDelete