Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Therapeutic Riding Association



Anyone who knows me, knows my love for horses. I remember being young, living in Moncton, and going for a drive with mom and passing a stable that had children with disabilities riding horses. We stopped to watch for a bit and even at that young age I remember being overwhelmed with emotions. How proud these children looked riding their horse. These children we saw were in wheel chairs and had quite visable disabilities. To see their faces as they walked around the ring impacted into my memory forever.

When I found out about the riding association here in Fredericton I couldn't wait to get Nathan on the waiting list. I know I cried at the thought, knowing my love for horses and remembering those faces. Knowing what horses do for me and the thought of what they can do for those children.

Last night, Nathan went in for his 'trial' ride. We were half way up the road when he says.. oh oh oh, I forgot cowboy hat! So, we turned around to go get it. All the way there we talked about white horses and knights in shining armour. I told him he might have to ride a brown horse, but he was quite adament about a white horse. Skipping ahead to when we got there, there was a white horse and a brown horse, another girl REALLY wanted the white horse, but I was able to talk Nathan into riding the brown horse. He didn't seem to mind at all when it came down to it he let the other girl have the white horse without a fuss.

He amazed me up on the horse. Held his back straight and head high! We weren't allowed in the ring with them, but were in a room with a window that everytime he passed he waved at us. They got him to pass a ring, and to say walk when the they stopped the horse. He started getting tired at the end, which was around his bedtime... but they lined the horses up and let us in to get some pictures. I can't express how proud I am of him.

He is still on the waiting list, but has passed the trial. Now it is just waiting for 3 people his age group for a spring or fall session. I told them I don't mind waiting until fall as Nathan would be just that much older. The drive home was Nathan wanting to ride a horse and I was trying to get him to tell me how it felt. But he was tired and just answered NO to all my questions, though from the look on his face spoke more then his words.


2 comments: