Saturday, March 20, 2010

Why Can't I Do That?


Today, 2 clients came in for pedicures together and we started talking about our children and how Nathan is going to be 4 tomorrow. As we were talking the subject of having another child came out, and I said I'm hesitant of having another. I explained the only reason I would like another one, is so Nathan would have a brother or sister. One of the girls said that wasn't a very good reason. I replied, I'm giving it a year, if I feel as I do now, I won't be having anymore children. The other lady then says she first had a daughter, then a son who is autistic, if she had her son first, she would feel the same way.

Now, why couldn't I just come out and say that?? But, once she opened the topic I told her that Nathan was on the spectrum and is undergoing his therapy with the resource centre. We proceeded to share and compair stories, the differences of how she was treated in Ontario, compaired to here, etc. It felt so good talking to her we exchanged phone numbers.

We talked about the fear of having another child with the statistics stating that I can have a 50 / 50 chance of birthing another child with autism. And the challenges I face now, and having to deal with it all being pregnant or with a child in tote. We talked about the emotional support of our husbands and family members. The challenges of speach and also of encouraging stories that keep us going. The difference of sharing with people who know what we are going through and how different every child on the spectrum is. How incredably smart autistic children are, how their differences are what makes them. How they deal with social queues and personal space.

I've been told before, and I completely know this.. That, although Nathan is on the spectrum, I am very lucky. He has his challenges, but he is high functioning and verbal. He shows his emotions but can't use words to describe them. He uses sound effects to explain things he is trying to say. Or he knows what tone of voice goes with what emotion. And the work that I do with him shows great encouragement to the progression he can accomplish. And on top of this all.. He retains his knowledge!! It takes alot of work.. repetition and consistency and whether or not he chooses to share what he knows.. but he does retain it once it clicks.

I've said earlier, that the more I talk about it, the more and more people I meet with autistic children. It's quite staggering the amount.. really. So why couldn't I just say when the subject came up the trueth? Am I just that private? Am I still just accepting and not ready to admit? Am I scared to let MY feelings come out? Am I that bad at communication? I don't know.

No comments:

Post a Comment